Scripture Verse of the Day

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

It's All GREEK to Me!

Fairly regularly we haunt a particular street from our old neighborhood. Last month we noticed a sign, DIMASSI MEDITERRANEAN BUFFET. Almost nothing is sexier to my hubby than the word "buffet", lol. ;) If it says "buffet", he's gonna try it out eventually. Well, I happen to like to try various cuisines, so I was on board with the plan today. We checked out Dimassi and were TOTALLY impressed. :) We LOVED it. The buffet contains a fairly wide selection of Greek and Mediterranean foods. I've had Greek foods before, but I'm not thrilled with really strong vinegary flavors that can dominate Greek cuisine. This contains some tart flavors, but the intense factor is more tame. Their tart came more from lemon than vinegar.
From the soups and salads to the pasta to the hommus to the gyro meat to the pita bread to the baklava, it was ALL good. :) As hubby said, we really like everything we tried. :) LOL, I saw a couple of reviews which complained more of environment than the food. Yeah, it's kinda "bright", I suppose, but I kinda like seeing what exactly I'm putting into my mouth, y'know? I didn't even pay attention to the atmosphere b/c I was busy stuffing my face w/ good food! I think the fact that there WAS a lot of people indicates its popularity; plus, the food turnover is going to be good, I have observed...that's the way I look at it, anyway, so THERE! >; D

I think the Greeks added a great deal to our American culture. MUCH of our English words are based in the Greek language, especially in medicine and the Bible. Who can get away from the Greeks when one studies literature, history, science, philosophy? My BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING is one of my favorite movies b/c it gives one a peek into their everyday life, which can be quite different than plain ol' American life~~just ask Harriet Miller. ;) Granted, it might be a liiiiiiittle bit of an exaggeration, but I'm not so sure of that!

I guess I need to be on the lookout for a cheap Greek Cooking Made Easy for my next cuisine cook book. : } Not that I could ever come close, but some of that food is just good soul food. :)

1 comment:

  1. Oooo.... hwere is this? I love Greek stuff.... (food, mythology, MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING....)

    ReplyDelete