Scripture Verse of the Day

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

FaceBook

Yep. I did it. I succombed to the power of social networking...this particular one being called Facebook. It started from seeing if I can locate a couple of names I knew a few decades ago, finding them, then wanting to see if I can reach them, having to have a FB acct to reach them, and here I am. I've found a lot of old friends and other people. Now I'm on it, too.

What on earth did I get myself into??? Facebook is a black hole. It is a very time-consuming venture. There are lots and lots and lots and lots and lots...of people who use FB. I had this crazy notion that I would just have my occasional little pow-wow with a few friends, say "HI!" and be on my merry way. Well, I caaaaan do that, but the system seems a little bit more involved than what I can and will be able to put into it. I have found some friends who are caught up into addictive games, and I have some friends who feel the need to reply to almost every single post ever made. If I have the time and it's something of interest to me, I'll post/reply. This is much how I treat message boards. However, I can't afford to attend to every single post and every single person at every single moment! I heard a preacher say a few times that what you give most of your attention into will eventually control you. There's an awful lot of truth to that...speaking from very practical experience. Sigh.

Facebook can be a good thing. It really can. Like everything else, tho, you must have a balance in all that you do. Too much of a good thing is...well, too much. Praying that my friends, my real friends, won't take it too hard if my presence on FB isn't as they had hoped it would be.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Estelle, I can totally understand where you're coming from! I only play 2 or 3 games on there and block everything else. I don't even get notified if people send me a "gift" anymore. Don't feel bad - the nice thing about something like Facebook is that you can use it at whatever level works for you. It'll still be there when you get back :D

    ReplyDelete