Scripture Verse of the Day

Sunday, January 3, 2010

"Name, please." "Huh?"

LOL, I know, goofy title, huh. I didn't wanna go with the Shakespearean cliche, "What's in a name?" How many title names have you seen for blogs? Some of them are pretty straightforward and self-explanatory. Others are just plain weird. Mine is probably considered somewhat middle road.

Let's start with the "Emerald" part of the name for my blog site. If you haven't figured it out by now, my favorite color in the world is GREEN. :) I like other colors, don't get me wrong. It's just that I love the color green. If you were to take a look at my wardrobe, Stacy and Clint would shudder because I have a lot of the same things (T-shirts) in different and mostly solid colors. ;) Oh well. If they decide to grant me a new wardrobe, we'll talk then. But...I digress. :}
The Christian symbolism of green is very intriguing to me. Nature and growth being the primary meanings. Rest, life, newness...everything one would want in life, right? Emeralds are green stones represented in the Bible, and it just HAPPENS to be my birthstone. Coincidence? I think not!

"Star" is probably the part of the blog name that made little sense to anyone else w/o explanation. "Estelle" is an Old-French-used-by-Old-English translation of the Latin word "stella~~meaning 'star'" SO, I'm a "star" in my own right! :D Seriously, tho...I am far from what society would call a "star." Still, God thinks highly of me, and some of His most awesome creations is not only mankind, but the stars that He placed and ordered in the heavens.

"Texas" is pretty self-explanatory, but in case you're troubled, it's because I live in Texas. ;) I'm a transplant from the winds, you could say. As a child, I travelled alllllll over the United States, but we finally settled in Texas when I was 9. I've been here a while, and evidently I'm not going anywhere else. Hubby is a native-born Texan w/ absolutely no intention of leaving. So here I stay. :}

Now to put it all together: "Emerald Star of Texas."
I toyed with many names for my blog. I tried to be somewhat creative but yet it still make some sense (lol, at least to me!). I did a little research, and I found that there is, indeed, such thing as an astrological "green star." We don't readily discern green stars, but they are out there! Here is the link to the information I gathered: http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=14 The green star is smack in the middle of radiation temperature and visibility spectrum. No matter to me. It's just kinda neat that they exist on this level. :) Now, why didn't I use "green star" as my title, if there's such a thing? Glad you asked, lol. It seems that a "green star" holds military and/or political connotations, as well as the growing use of a grading "green star" to indicate environmental friendliness, something I'm not an avid supporter of. I don't discourage the "green movement" by any means, but I'm not going out of my way to live a greener life. If I happen to like a green idea, fine. If not, well, maybe next time. Uh oh, I digress..... I do that a lot, lol.
Instead of using the color "green" as part of my title, I figured I'd use another word for green, and it just happens that an emerald is the color of my favorite gemstone as well as shade of green.

And there you have it! :D LOL, I kinda feel like posting the Schlotzsky's motto, but I won't. :}
Have a most blessed day!
Estelle

No comments:

Post a Comment