Scripture Verse of the Day

Friday, April 18, 2014

GOOD FRIDAY 2014

There are so many thoughts about Good Friday. Many perspectives weigh in on one of a Christian's most reverent holy day. 

A dear friend of mine said, last Sunday--Palm Sunday, her pastor asked a very thought-provoking question: This represents the LAST WEEK of Jesus' life on earth as the Son of man. If we knew that we only had a few days left to live, how would we spend them? Ouch. This is an excellent question. What if we knew what we had to face before we died? Could we do it? even if it was torturous?
I'm not about to sit here and tell you that I could undergo the torture our Saviour experienced between a possible Thursday and Friday before his crucifixion. I admit that I have a hard time standing accused of anything I did not do. If I did as I'm accused, I would like to think I'd be as the admonishing thief on the cross who reminded the scoffing thief that they are experiencing a just death, while Jesus was not. My threshold of pain is extremely weak, I'll readily admit. I could not endure the beatings and the scourging that took place during His trial. I am not physically strong. After becoming a walking pile of raw flesh, I could not comprehend ANY of His ability to carry his cross, with or without assistance. The crucifixion? What a final insult from mankind. I praise God that Jesus could see past all of this and ask of his Father, "Forgive them, Father, for they know not what they do." He knew The Divine Plan, and through His Father's might, was able to endure the sins of the world; past, present, and future; once and for all. He became the final sacrifice that did not just cover sins, but removed the bondage of sin once and for all.

Now comes the good news. The disciples had been with Jesus for a little over three years, and like the Israelites of the OT, and *I* today, they easily succumb to despair, hopelessness, and emptiness.What now? We gave up three years to follow This Man, and now He's dead. We gave up our livelihood to follow Jesus, and for what? Whether lack of faith or fleeting lack of memory (for me, oftentimes it's both), they have forgotten Jesus' Promise that He Will Rise Again on the Third Day!

I'm so thankful for that Third Day, Resurrection Day! It's the most marvelous day of all time and human history! The Man Who knew no sin became sin for all of mankind  He went into the depths of hell so that we would not have to. He paid the ultimate price for our sins, and resurrected victorious, just as He promised His disciples! As believers in Christ Jesus, WE are victorious, too! We have a place in heaven. We have eternal life. Our sins are pardoned, and Grace and Truth brings us "real life." Our spiritual life manifests into our physical life. Our born-again spirits enables us to share with others what it means to be a Christian. How has Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection affected your life? Will you spend your last few days rejoicing in what Jesus has done for you, for me, for all of mankind? 

If you knew these were your last days on earth, how would you spend them?

No comments:

Post a Comment