Scripture Verse of the Day

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

January 2013

Here we are again. It's another year. 
Another new beginning. 
Another clean slate.
Another opportunity to aim high for a better life.

The year 2012 wasn't too bad of a year for me. Actually, it was a pretty decent year. I received many wonderful blessings. I got to participate in some things I've not been able to do for many years. I got to meet some really great people this year. 

Thankfully, my immediate family did not suffer loss last year. We all remained mostly healthy. Despite some wicked storms that have surrounded us last year, we still have a home. Hubby and I both had jobs all year last year (I was a little quiet in November, but I see that as a break I evidently needed). We made more trips to my folks' house (about 100 miles away) this year. I treasure those trips there because we already lost my husband's parents, and I want the boys to get to know mine for as long as they can. My parents get such a joy seeing us, especially their only grandchildren.

I do acknowledge that I have quite a few friends who struggled for much, if not all, of the year last year. My heart goes out to those who lost loved ones, who lost their jobs, who faced urgent medical issues with the subsequent mountain of medical bills. My heart goes out to those who lost their pets. My heart goes out to those who suffered heartache for unnamed reasons. My heart goes out to those who feel hopelessness is their lot in life. I continue to pray that their outlook changes for the better in 2013. 

There are some superstitious people who believe that 2013 will be bad luck. Well, I don't believe in "luck." Why anticipate an entire year will be doom and gloom simply because 13 happens to be a necessary number in our lives? In my opinion, that is no way to live. I believe that we have a huge contribution into how this year, or any year, for that matter, turns out for us. There are obviously unforeseeable events that can throw a monkey wrench into your plans (happens all the time for me, lol), but just start with a plan, and follow the path laid out for you to reach your goal. It can be done. As a Christian, I believe that God loves me and has my best interest at heart, whether it's joyful or grievous to me. Where there is sorrow at night (and sometimes the nights seem awfully long!), joy comes in the morning. Sometimes a loss means something better is about to take place, whether in this life or the next. We can make the plans, but I believe God really does order our footsteps. This comes to mind as I remember: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” ~~Jeremiah 29:11~~

I really haven't given much thought as to what I hope to accomplish this year. I have a few perpetual goals/resolutions...to lose weight and be healthy, to read my Bible through the year, to earn more money, to be able to let my boys participate in more activities, etc, etc, etc.........
However, I DO want to do something new this year. I read a post on Facebook (pictured above) about having a jar and filling it with great things that happen throughout the year. Either I need to find a HUGE jar, or by the end of the year I need to really mush those notes into the largest jar I own. ;) Either way, I'm actually looking forward to a great year, no matter what comes my way.

Here's to each of us enjoying a wonderful and Happy New Year of 2013. One of my favorite biblical "New Year" verses is Paul's greeting in 3 John 2~~

"Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.

No comments:

Post a Comment