Scripture Verse of the Day

Monday, December 13, 2010

On the Twelfth Day of Christmas, My True Love Gave to Me

Today is December 13th. There are 12 more days 'til Christmas. This is a time when my boys and I get a kick out of singing this song. I'm not sure what the real meaning of this song truly is (if there are literally 12 days to celebrate Christmas like there are 8 days to celebrate Hanukkah, for example). I think I remember something about January 5th is considered the 12th day of Christmas but still don't know details because I've not looked it up just yet, but with my boys I treat this kind of like telling time...a quarter "of" 6 means it's 15 minutes before 6 o'clock~~like a "countdown" to Christmas. Either way, it's a fun time in MY family.


I received in an email one time some early Christian coded meanings of the Twelve Days of Christmas, and whether it's true or not, I'm not too concerned, I think it's pretty neat and can easily see the application. :) Evidently, I'm not the only one. An article about this was written by Dennis Bratcher. I'll summarize below. I hope you'll read his article, tho. I found it was a good read. :)


A Partridge in a Pear Tree symbolized Jesus.

Two Turtle Doves symbolized the Old and New Testaments.

Three French Hens symbolized the Three virtues: Faith, hope and love.

Four Calling Birds symbolized the Four Gospels

Five Gold Rings symbolized the first Five Books of the Bible/The Books of Moses/The Pentateuch.

Six Geese A-laying symbolized the Six Days of Creation (God rested on the seventh).

Seven Swans A-Swimming symbolized The Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Eight Maids A-milking symbolized The Beattitudes.

Nine Ladies Dancing symbolized The Fruit of the Spirit.

Ten Lords A-leaping symbolized The Ten Commandments.

Eleven Pipers Piping symbolized the Eleven FAITHFUL Disciples/Apostles of Jesus.

Twelve Drummers Drumming symbolized the twelve doctrinal points of the Apostles' Creed.

I hope you find this as fascinating as I did. It's definitely a great tool to share with young Christians today. :)
In the meantime, MERRY CHRISTMAS!

No comments:

Post a Comment